Saturday, January 12, 2013

BONNE ANNÉE...J'adore Paris!


me at some of my fave spots in Paris...Notre Dame, ChampsÉlysées, Louvre and Sacre Coeur 
Well folks the new year is here.  Happy 2013 everyone.  I have to say I got to celebrate the New Years holiday in great fashion.  After spending a quiet Christmas holiday at home here in Malta, Melissa and I jetted off to Paris for the New Year.  I have to say that although this was my third time visiting, it just never gets old.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Paris!  Did I mention I LOVE Paris?!?!?!
I mean really, can this city BE any more beautiful?!?!
Paris is that city that people either love or hate, there really is no in-between.  I am on the love end of the spectrum and I proudly admit it.  Paris is one of the big cities of Europe that manages to still take your breath away because it is, simply put, amazing.  From the architecture to the feeling and vibe you get when there, there really is nothing like it.  Old mixed with new, history, beauty...it is just a place that you can't help but be in awe of.

Just never gets old!
The weather was mild in Paris for December/January, albeit a bit on the rainy side, but that did not dampen the trip one bit, even in the rain, Paris is beautiful!  We got to check out the key sites...Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louvre, Sacre Coeur, ChampsÉlysées, and wander about some amazing neighborhoods.  It was a particularly fun trip because it was Melissa's first time visiting so I got to play tour guide, I got to meet up with my friend, Kara, as she was visiting the city with her boyfriend and we haven't seen each other since I left for Malta so it was really nice to see someone from home.  The hotel we stayed in is run by someone who helped plan my previous trip to Paris in 2011 for my sister's bachelorette weekend so it was like visiting a friend in Paris.  She and her staff took great care of us and that is the reason why we chose to stay there in the first place. 

Some street art i came across on the walls while making my way to Sacre Coeur

I am totally promoting here but simply because it is worth the recognition.  If you plan on visiting Paris any time soon, I HIGHLY recommend Hotel Le Six in the Monteparnasse area, 6th District.  Anne, the Hotel Managing Director is the most amazing person.  She was at a previous hotel when I was in Paris for my sister's trip and has since moved on to this luxury boutique hotel and I honestly would not stay anywhere else.  She goes above and beyond her call of duty and has a staff that does the same.  So friendly, so helpful, so pleasant and the hotel is beautiful and in one of the best areas to stay in Paris.  We got to enjoy VIP service, complimentary room service, complimentary Champagne and Hors d’Oeuvres on New Years Eve and they managed to arrange an elaborate and amazing New Years Eve dinner at my now favorite restaurant in Paris...C'est Mon Plaisir (yes I am promoting again). My friend Kara is a vegetarian and not only did the hotel make the reservation literally the day before, but also took care of contacting the restaurant to see what could be done about accommodating her food needs....now it was New Years Eve, price fixe menu and she was able to have her own customized menu...who does that...on such a major holiday as well...well C'est Mon Plaisir does.  It was not only my best meal in Paris but one of the best meals I have ever had in my life...period!  I got to ring in the New Year with friends, enjoying a great 7-course meal, good wine and hilarious music (they played It's the Final Countdown AFTER it hit midnight-HA!).  HAPPY NEW YEAR INDEED!!!
5 of the 7 courses of our amazing New Years Eve dinner!
Now for the highlights:
Along with the amazing 7-course New Years Eve Dinner, there were some pretty special moments during the trip as the one thing I love about Paris is that there has always been something new to do and discover with every visit, like...
  • Watching the sunset atop the Eiffel Tower, I have to admit that I really do like the later afternoon/early evening view of the Eiffel Tower as oppose to going up in the evening, you get a greater appreciation for the city and its' beauty.
  • Climbing all the way to the top of the Notre Dame tower...because the little, old French woman standing guard yells for you to keep going up...a workout in itself and a test of ones' ability to keep their vertigo at bay but oh.so.worth.it.
  • Visiting Sacre Coeur and enjoying the Monmarte neighborhood with its' beautiful shops, Christmas Market and THE VIEW!  Not to mention that the church itself is pretty fantastic!
  • Waiting on line to go up the Eiffel Tower and telling Melissa stories of when I visited with my sisters and how when we went to the Eiffel Tower, the guys selling the 1 euro mini Eiffel Towers ran in a stampede like the running of the bulls because the military came in to patrol and seeing the concern on my sister's face...only to have it happen minutes after telling the story for Melissa to witness herself...it is one of the most bizarre things to witness because they are everywhere so really why run?
  • Being in Paris, one of the fashion capitals of the world, and getting beyond excited to shop at...wait for it...THE GAP!  They were having a great sale and well frankly, that is what happens to you when you live on an island with bad shopping...it makes you appreciate good, American clothing...I mean really, the irony of being able to say that we shopped in Paris...AT THE GAP...really?!?!  Hey, say what you want but I have not been this excited about clothes since leaving for Malta!
  • Being in said fashion capital only to witness a major fashion faux pas...yes they happen everywhere...but seriously when you see a man trying his best impression of an urban style wearing a Charlotte Hornets baseball hat (yes you read that right, I know the team no longer exists...HELLOOO New Orleans Hornets/Charlotte Bobcats), and a track jacket and pants to match only to keep the trend going down to the underwear...yes the underwear...shame even Paris is plagued by the “hang your pants off your behind to show the world your underwear like we want to see them" trend...ummm...well, basically...that is just all kinds of wrong and should be an actual offense...I had to look at you, you were in front of me as we were exiting the Metro station for crying out loud! But add the fact that he was also carrying a knock-off Prada crossbody PURSE (yes it was a female bag) and well that just makes for one hell of a good laugh...in fact...still.laughing! 
There never seems to be a dull moment when in Paris and that is just the way I like it!  It is a magical city and a city I will never stop visiting because I am truly in love with it, possibly the one European city I wish I could live in but since I can't, going back every so often will have to do and I am definitely ok with that!

Thought it would be nice to bring some Paris twinkle to your lives...HAPPY NEW YEAR/BONNE ANNÉE!

2 comments:

  1. I need to go to Paris! You are so right - its just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love it doll...you owe it to yourself to go!

      Delete